Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Diary of a Strange Pregnant White Girl...

Day 267
All efforts have proven unsuccessful…despite multiple attempts to alter the situation, I am still pregnant.

Since getting the word from my OB that I am officially allowed to have the baby any day now: I have gone on a three mile hike, walked a mile or more every day for the past week, moved heavy pieces of furniture, deep cleaned, done sit-ups (which are really more like abdominal crunches because it turns out that it’s almost impossible to do sit-ups with the human equivalent of a bowling ball parked on the muscles I would normally use to perform said maneuver), started taking herbal supplements that are repudiated to “kick start” labor, all while working full-time…and still nothing!

This baby is a tease. I’ll get fairly consistent contractions during the evenings for about three hours, but once I stop moving and sit or lie down, all progress grinds to a halt and I am left once more to endure a sleepless night of leg and back cramps and bathroom trips. (I understand that I will still have sleepless nights after the baby comes, but at least it will be for reasons other than my own physical discomfort. And at this point, any change in my physical condition would be a welcome one…)

I am fed up and ready to be done.

My energy is sapped and frustrations are high at the end of each day—which is partly why I have had another long absence from the blogging arena—I have not yet mastered the ability to force myself to get out of bed (or off the couch) and go blog once I’ve sat down for the night. Now, I know I’m not the only one to ever struggle with this, but seriously?! When is this kid gonna get here?? I don’t see how it’s anatomically possible for me to get any bigger, but I’m afraid that’s what’s going to happen if I can’t find a way to convince this child that life is better on “the outside” soon.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I know it's a myth and people will tell you all kinds of ways to 'start' labor, so take it with a grain of salt. There is a restaurant called Trio that serves a pizza and I don't even know the name of it, but you can just walk in and ask for the pregnancy pizza. The pizza is not great, I did it with H, and started labor that night, and I've known two other people who have had it and started labor within 24 hours.

Hang in there!!