Wednesday, August 26, 2009

My First Day of Clinical Education

Well, today was my first of a long run of clinical ed days. Luckily for me, it wasn't quite a "trial by fire." There was just enough to do without being so busy that I couldn't absorb what I was doing.

I got to sit in on three chest exams, four Os Calcis (heels), one bilateral rib, two L-Spines (lower back), and one "waters" (this is where they check the skull--eyes, specifically--for metal fragments before conducting an MRI). I pulled files--so confusing!--and got to develop the film. For the record, they aren't kidding when they say "Dark Room." I definitely need to eat more carrots because my eyes were hardly adjusted even after five minutes in there.

Everyone I've met is really nice and helpful...they were even cool about the fact that I forgot to push the button to activate the developer and consequently ruined one of the chest films. Well, there's one mistake I won't ever make again!

Needless to say, I came home feeling utterly pooped...but in a satisfactory look-how-active-I-was-today kind of way. :) I'm really looking forward to working in that environment.

But for now, I must leave you all so that I can go study physics, and patient care and assessment. I love you all. Thanks for all your encouragement and well-wishes: they must be working, because I go to bed happy every night!

4 comments:

Mary said...

Good for you! I'm glad you had a good, productive day. And you have really kept your promise to your sister! We all benefit from that. ; )

Ryan W said...

good luck Catie!

Chrissy said...

But the real question is which of your fabulous new "outfits" did you wear for the first day? :) Glad all went well.

Unknown said...

I'm so jealous, that sounds interesting and fun! I think this career path suites you perfectly! Good for you Caite! Hey Steven and Tiffany are blessing Kaia on Sunday Sept 6th in Grandma's ward. Hope you can come!