Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Happy Surprises

Today was my first day back in class after winter break. I woke up in a panic at 3:00 am after having a nightmare in which my clinical instructor asked me to do an L-Spine exam on a patient and I went, "L-Spine? What's that? Do I have one? What do I do with it?!"

I struggled to go back to sleep and woke up again at five to find myself chanting: "L-spine. Lumbar spine. Lower back. Got it. PIP Joint. Proximal Interphalangeal Joint. Middle knuckle. Got it. MLO. Medial Lateral Oblique projection. Angled from middle to side. Got it...."

Anywho, after finally waking up for good at six and getting ready, I ended up being about 20 minutes early for class. Which turned out to be okay as I, and a few other equally paranoid individuals, helped each other de-stress before class began.

Luckily I found I was able to get back into the rhythm of the lessons with relative ease. And it helped to sooth my ragged academic confidence when my hand kept rising of its own accord during review sessions. (Apparently all my previous knowledge of anatomy, etc. is stored in my right index finger. Not unlike Fozzi's Mr. Bimbo from Muppet Treasure Island. He seems to know even if my brain is still processing the question.) It was a very happy surprise.

And happier still: when I checked my phone after class, I found a very sweet message from my wonderful husband wishing my luck and boosting my confidence from afar. I felt like the warm bubble in my chest could power the "high voltage circuitry, three phase rectifier" that had zapped my brain in physics. (You made my day, sweetie!)

And joy upon joy, when I finally plunked my bag down in the hall and picked up the mail, what should I find but two cards with my name on them, and not a bill in sight! One wished Patch and I a happy anniversary. (It's two years for us now!) And the other was from the University congratulating me on making the honor roll last semester. (Which was news to me!) Happy day, indeed!

So, before I go to tackle my homework, I wish all of you a happy surprise to put some sunshine in your day.

2 comments:

Chrissy said...

My happy surprise, Caite posted two days in a row! :) This definitely made my day a little brighter. I am glad you have a Mr. Bimbo (Bimble?) of your own to help smooth the path back into academia for you. You are awesome and I am not surprised at all that you made the honor roll.

Dinee said...

I don't think I've made an honor roll since junior high. Way to go! I love reading your posts so keep it up. I also remember studying PIP, MIP joints, etc etc. I enjoyed learning the anatomy but hated learning the technical aspects of the xray machine. I'm glad you're enjoying your program!