Saturday, January 7, 2012

My Life: "Re-Solved"

Resolved: adj. firm in purpose or intent; determined

Solved: v. (used with an object) 1. to fined the answer or explanation for; clear up; explain

2. to work out the answer or solution


Originally, I had written a very long, rambling post to go with this title--but the more I thought about the point I actually wanted to get across, I decided to scrap it and go with something more simple, direct, and from the heart. So, here it goes:

I have a horribly apathetic attitude towards the New Year...always have. Especially when it comes to resolutions. During a moment of intense self-reflection, I have come to realize and accept that this is because I really struggle with the concept of endurance. Now, don't get me wrong: it's not a problem with all forms of endurance--there are many things in my life which I am deeply committed to--but for some reason, I keep tripping up when it comes to self-improvement. I lack staying-power in my goals...I'll do really well, and be really zealous for a while, and then it's like I run out of steam and my motivation starts circling the metaphorical drain...So what am I doing wrong?

When I was about fifteen, my mom gave me a book to read called Heshe, Meshe, Mison, and Orbit. It's a sort of coming of age tale about a young girl as she discovers what it means to become an adult. Anyway, her grandmother--who emigrated to Hawaii from China--teaches her these four Chinese philosophies to help guide her. And I kept thinking about the last one: orbit. In the book, her grandmother tells the girl, "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be what you've always been."

As I was thinking about my problems with resolutions, that phrase popped into my head and I suddenly saw myself very clearly for a moment--my behavior patterns, my coping skills (or lack thereof), my stress triggers--and I decided to try something different. I'm going to start small.

I have a tendency to make grand "finished product" type plans. Now that I have a house and yard, I imagine what they will look like when they are completely "finished." But there are so many little things that need changing, or to be taken into consideration, that I very quickly get overwhelmed and decide to do something else...like knit or watch tv. Same thing with the rest of my life: I struggle with the concept of smaller, achievable goals. (Maybe because I'm a very impatient person at heart who wants to see results NOW.) But, obviously, my methods have not worked yet, so it's time to really try.

Here's my plan: I'm going to focus on three goals for two months. Just two months. I'm going to choose three different areas of my life and pick one thing from each that I can reasonably alter within that time frame for my benefit.

1. School: this is my biggest stressor bar none. I get the most stressed when I feel overwhelmed by the amount of work I have to do. This is usually because I've procrastinated. I procrastinate because I'm easily distracted by other things I have to do around the house, etc.

Solution: Set aside 30 minutes M-F to focus on just schoolwork while at home.


Keep track of this one with a chart on the fridge or some other highly visible place and reward myself periodically for a job well done.


2. Home: this is an area where I am constantly overreaching...What do I need the most right now in order to feel peaceful at home? A perpetually tidy refuge. A place to study. A place to relax. Can I have this right now? Not immediately, at least, not the way I envision it-- I'd need to do some intensive de-cluttering and rearranging first. So what can I do now to feel better at home?

Solution: Focus on maintaining the bedroom daily.

This is where I do most of my studying at the moment. And this is the room that suffers the most from day to day clutter. Since I share it, make sure that Patrick is willing to help me keep it in good condition. Make sure we discuss and agree on what "good condition" means...

3. Physical Health: I have lots of goals in this area, but I want to focus on exercise. I struggle with this because I don't have the time or money to go to a gym. Or someone to go with. I need to find something I enjoy enough to keep up with on my own.


Solution: Play Zumba Kinect at least twice a week and record it on the hard drive.

Let's say every Tues and Saturday since those are the days I usually have the most free time. It was very sweet of Patrick to give it to me for Christmas since he knows how much I miss going to the classes with Chrissy. I don't want it to be a wasted gesture.


So, let the achieving begin! I have two months from now to turn these goals into healthy habits. I will give a final report of my efforts on my birthday, March 7. And I will hold myself accountable with a weekly posting of how I've done. This post will be submitted before midnight each Saturday. ( I'm 80% certain that idea of admitting failure in a public forum ought to motivate me enough for these next few months.) Wish me luck and feel free to encourage me along the way! I'm pretty sure I'll need it!

3 comments:

Terral Fox said...

Those sounds like some very realistic goals that will give you some good results! Love and encouragement coming your way!

Mary said...

Sorry, that last one was me. I didn't realize my hubby was signed in. :)

Chrissy said...

I love it! Baby steps, man, baby steps...

And for encouragement I will say that I am very much looking forward to weekly posts from you. Love you tons!