Monday, January 7, 2013

Did I miss New Year? Must have hit the snooze button ...


About a month ago I had a conversation with my sister about the possibility of me joining in her daily blog-a-thon this year. Given my track record with all forms of electronic communication, I was skeptical about the reality of my meeting this challenge. (And yes, I’ve noticed that I’m a bit behind the calendar year in starting, but there is a reason for that which I will explain in a moment.) After a few days of uninterrupted introspection, I decided that it’s a challenge I need to take.

I have decided to be cautiously optimistic as I start on this journey…and am absolutely certain that Chrissy will be more than willing to volunteer as the Punctual Posting Police.

So, how about a little re-cap on last year before I launch into this one?

It was a relatively smooth ride for us in 2012. We reached the year mark in our first home. We got a cat that seems more like a dog at times…no complaints though, Baxter is one of the most easy-going animals I’ve ever known. (He even continues to lick Patrick’s toes despite repeated run-ins with his Nerf gun sneak attacks.)  I finished school. (Big shout of hooray there!) We are both steadily employed and looking forward to the day when our work schedules find their way into a more set routine.

Here's Baxter enjoying some much needed cuddling after a sudden Nerf attack.
But the biggest thing that happened to us last year was discovering that I became pregnant with our first child in September! We had been trying for a while, but I was getting discouraged and ready to take a break from it all when suddenly: SURPRISE! There were finally two pink lines instead of one!
Taa-Daa!
I was in shock for all of 30 seconds before I picked up the cat and started to waltz him around the house shouting, “Holy Crap, kitty cat! I’m gonna have a baby!” Needless to say, Baxter didn’t appreciate my enthusiasm as much as Patrick did. So yeah, it was a good year all around. (Even with a nasty bout of morning sickness…totally worth it.)

One proud Mama. (Forgive the messy hair and no make-up, my grooming habits took a dive with my queasy stomach.)
And as promised, the reason why I didn’t start this daily blogging challenge on time: because I was too busy celebrating our five year anniversary to notice that I missed the proper start date. What with the fast approaching arrival of a new family member, Patrick and I decided to give each other the gift of free time this year. We took a week off work to enjoy a “stay-cation” together, and it was wonderful! A week full of sleeping in, bubble baths, eating ice cream in bed, and doing nothing more stressful than deciding what TV show we wanted to cuddle up to…it was blissful and I am so glad we took the time to just focus on the two of us before we become the three of us.

So there you have it folks: my year in a nutshell. I look forward to all the surprises this year is sure to bring. And to the challenge of keeping track of it all here...wish me luck; I know I'm going to need it on many fronts!



3 comments:

Chrissy said...

Three things:

#1- YAAAAY! I'm so excited you are doing this! I promise you will be so happy you did, especially when you have a new baby to document!

#2- I will happily be your Prompt Posting Police, but I want a badge. So get on that...

#3- Did you notice it was exactly a year to the day since your last post, because I did. ;) Did I mention I'm super happy you are doing this with me. I promise to comment a lot!

Mary said...

What great news! Congratulations on finishing school, and especially congratulations on the pregnancy!!!

Elena Loo said...

Congrats again on the news!! We are so excited for you guys!
I love the idea of a stay-cation and doing nothing. I was reading Little Women and they had a little experiment of their own on that. They ended up getting bored. I don't think that works now-a-days because we have awesome TV shows to watch :)
Love you guys!
I am happy you are doing the blog challenge too.

I can't say I am comitting to a post a day, but when you guys post more, I post more. So I am hoping to do more. It just seemed like no one blogged last year. Now we're back in the game! :)