Thursday, July 3, 2014

Where Did That Year Go?

I recently was chatting with a friend of mine and she mentioned casually how she missed reading my blog posts. I've felt so busy lately that it took me a moment to realize it has been nearly a YEAR since I last made an entry...

Holy. Cow. Where did all that time go?

SO much has happened in the last year that often I just felt like I was swept along for the ride--hanging on for dear life at times--and I didn't even notice the moments going by. After the usual onset of guilt that accompanies these kind of moments for me, I decided to shrug it off and take an "it wasn't meant to be" kind of attitude toward blogging. But I couldn't. I kept coming back to the thought that it would be important later on that I leave behind some kind of record of me and my family's daily life.

So, here we are again. Let's see if I can manage to get back in the saddle after being out for so long. As I stated before: a lot has happened in the last year. So I'm going to try to condense as much of it as I can.

Lucy's First Year Milestones!
1 1/2 months--started sleeping through the night. Score! (I am sure she got her ability to sleep for long periods of time from her father. An aptitude that I still don't always appreciate in him, but I absolutely love in her.)
5 months--started rolling over, and sitting (the latter with some assistance)
6 months--started eating solids, got her first two bottom teeth!
7 months--started crawling (For real this time. She'd been trying to crawl as soon as she learned to roll onto her tummy but she finally worked it out by Christmastime!)
8 months--started cruising around the furniture, got her two top canine teeth (With her pale complexion and her pointy teeth we promptly started calling her "vampire baby")
9 months--she grew enough hair that I could start putting it pigtails! (Yes, they totally looked like a bug's antennae for the first little while...)
10 months--started walking (Aaah! Slow down! I was not prepared to baby proof above table tops yet, but she had a longer reach that I imagined possible.)
10 1/2 months--first word: Mama (Yes! I won! However, she only says it when she's super tired or upset...I'm still waiting for an excited tone rather than accusatory.)
11 months--started getting her first top middle tooth in (We swapped calling her "vampire" for "hillbilly")
12 months--started weaning, became a confirmed chocoholic/sweet tooth, and started to develop a mischievous streak that promises to add some gray hairs to her parents' heads.

Other big moments for us have included Patrick going back to school to get his Bachelors degree. (Go, Patch! I'm so proud of you!) Me going back to work full time while juggling mom/wife stuff. The States Family Baby Boom -- it started with Lucy and in the nine months that followed after her birth we welcomed three new boy cousins!--I'm predicting it will be a grand adventure for her, having so many cousins so close in age. A bit of a financial roller coaster ride (which could be said for many of us, I'm sure) that seems to have reached a good kind of plateau. (Fingers crossed!) And, last but not least: getting a wonderful new step-mom and lots of fun new siblings and cousins when my dad married Carol Thomas a few weeks ago! It's a little strange to have your family expand so drastically so quickly, but we've always been of "the more the merrier" frame of mind, and I look forward to getting to know everyone better and building new relationships.

Cheers to another year of new adventures!

(P.S. I feel like it's a good omen that I start blogging again on the 4th of July weekend. The fireworks, the fun of it all...It feels like I'm starting off with a bang. I like it!)

No comments: