Monday, April 15, 2013

A Fresh Start...Tomorrow

Today was my appointment with my OB. Everything seems to be pretty much on track despite my never-ending head/chest cold. The only hiccup is how fast the baby is growing--which is fine for her, and very uncomfortable for me--if she keeps this rate up, I could be trying to squeeze out a 9-10 lb baby on my first go around. Not exactly what I had in mind...

At my last appointment, the doc told me to really watch my simple sugar/carb intake. Which I actually did. I cut back my portion size of those things to about a third of what I would usually eat...but apparently to no avail, because this little lady inside me is still putting on weight like she's afraid of a famine... So, when I asked what more I could do, she told me to try really upping my fruit and veggie intake and cutting out all junk sugar like cookies and stuff until my next appointment two weeks from now. (I can still have pasta and potatoes and bread occasionally; and only in limited quantities. At least I don't have to cut everything out cold turkey...)

So I'm doing my best to follow doctor's orders. I went to a local produce stand at the end of my street this afternoon and got a whole bunch of vegetables to substitute in my dinner plans where I would normally put rice or pasta; as well as a lot more variety of fruit to take to work as snacks. I'm already a huge protein fan, so that was no problem to incorporate into my "new diet."

I sat down when I got home and wrote down a menu for the week so that I could make sure I would use all the produce up and not let it go to waste. Then I called Patrick and asked him to pick up a few items when he got off work that they didn't carry at the produce stall like meat and yogurt, etc.

I also told him to pick out a few snack items that he can take to work easily in case we don't have enough leftovers to make lunch the next day. He came home with everything I asked for--plus a package of Double Stuf Oreos as a treat for me. *Sigh* It was so sweet of him, plus they are my very favorite snack/craving I've had during the whole of my pregnancy. He looked so crestfallen when I told him that I couldn't have them that my heart almost broke. So I compromised.

I treated myself to a "last supper" after dinner tonight. I had a stack of Oreos and finished off the last can of orange soda we had in the fridge as a sort of farewell to dessert. (I kept telling myself that I had to eat them so they wouldn't be there to tempt me anymore. Yeah, not the best logic ever--as I'm sure many of you would agree--but I'm operating with 4% less brain power at the moment, right? So there. Besides, I just couldn't hurt Patrick's feelings when he was trying so hard to be nice, right?)

Tomorrow will be my official "new leaf." I have a healthy breakfast and snacks all packed and ready to go in the fridge for work tomorrow. Plus dinner will be centered around acorn squash. And I have magnanimously decided to donate my Oreos to my coworkers. (Mostly to spare myself the constant inner battle of trying not to eat them and failing.)  

No comments: