Thursday, April 11, 2013

Laughter is the Best Medicine

So I'm starting to feel like I'm coming back from the dead. Today I was able to breathe through my nose--which is an awesome new development in my recovery process! And I think that part of why I'm starting to recover is that I've been surrounded by funny people the last couple of days.

Yesterday I was doing an impersonation of a slug on my sister's sofa while Patrick was working a long shift. Near lunch time, Lila brought it to our attention that there was no more mac-n-cheese or bread. Feeling the need to be upright for a bit, I volunteered to go to the store that's just down the street. Lila asked to go along with me, and I figured "why not?" We made quite the fetching pair in our pajamas and bed-head do's...
This is the topic of conversation she chose as we drove down to the store:

Lila: Caite? If your baby is in your belly, how do you feed her?
Me: Well, the baby has a special rope called an umbilical cord that sends her part of the food I eat. So when I eat food, she gets some too.
Lila: (Considers this in silence for a moment.) So, you gave your baby medicine for breakfast today?
Me: (chuckling) Yeah, I guess so.
Lila: Caite, that is NOT a good breakfast for babies. You should get better so she can have a good breakfast.

I agree, Lila, I agree... 

Today, I was able to function enough to go to work. It's been good. I hope that it will wear me out just enough so that I can actually sleep tonight. (Yeah. Right. I don't think I'll sleep ever again...) One of my patients today was an older, mentally handicapped gentleman. I'm not sure what he had exactly, but it seemed kind of like Tourettes Syndrome, just not as much swearing...Oh, he was a riot!...

Before he made it back to me, he had to have some lab work done. I overhead the lab tech explaining to him that he needed to pee into a cup. He responded, "Oh! Oh! Oh! I can't pee in a cup! But I'll s--t on the floor if you want me to!" I got Braxton-Hicks I was laughing so hard!

When I took him back to get changed for his x-rays, he looked at the gown I was handing to him and then turned to his helper and shouted, "Hey! She wants to get me naked! Meow!" Again, I laughed until it started to hurt. While we were in the middle of the exam he was telling me all about his plans for Halloween. (It's his favorite holiday.) At one point, he asked me what I wanted to be for Halloween this year. I told him I wasn't sure yet. He took a good long look at me and then said, "Well, you could go as a fat clown 'cause your belly is round and your nose is already red! Red like Rudolph the Reindeer!" His helper looked at me apologetically but we were both giggling....Ah, honest like a child!

I know I'm stuck with the belly for a few more months, but I sure hope the red nose goes away before then!

1 comment:

cari said...

Oh my gosh that sounds so funny! Glad those days come on us once in awhile!