Tuesday, April 23, 2013

"Practically Perfect"

It was another quiet day at home for me...

I finished piecing together the slipcover. All that remains to be done is hemming the bottom edges and serging the inner seams. (And recovering the seat cushion, of course.) I did attempt to try pinning the hem in place, but quickly discovered that it's not really something I can do without lying on my stomach--an impossibility at this point. So I might kind of "fudge it" until after the baby comes and I can do it properly. 

My back was royally sore after two days of sitting in strange, cramped positions trying to pin and sew this behemoth--it became very unwieldy after all the pieces were pinned together--so I gave myself the afternoon off. 

I put a heating pad on my back while I watched a bit of TV and surfed the web, catching up on everyone's blogs and Facebook posts, etc. After reading my cousin's post about making more time for herself, I was inspired to do the same. I took a long warm shower. (I can't do "hot" anymore. It makes me dizzy.) I moisturized my skin (even the hard to reach bits) and trimmed my hair. And I cut and polished all my nails, including the toes, people! (That took a bit of doing, let me tell you...As short as I am, you wouldn't think my feet could seem so far away...but it's the truth!)

Patrick was home by 5:30--a very rare treat for both of us to be home when it's still light out in the evening--so we went for a long walk along one of the many hiking/jogging trails we recently discovered. It was beautiful evening, if a bit nippy, and we got to enjoy each other's company without the distraction of electronic entertainment for a while. I had packed a light snack for the trip because I knew it would take us a while to get to our destination at my pace. There were a couple of seagulls near where we chose to sit, so we watched them duke it out over my apple core. Patrick called the winner. He must have a knack for picking the winner of a fight after watching Wrestle-mania and stuff as a teen....I felt bad for the loser, so I left a little more apple behind when I was fairly certain the winner wasn't looking. I hope he got it. 

Despite the chilly breeze on the way back, I was telling Patrick how good the idea of a snow cone sounded to me. Unfortunately, it's still too early in the year for snow shacks to be open, but Patrick found the next best thing on the way home: smoothies! Which ended up being our dinner, because I wore myself out on that walk and with playing catch-up on all the laundry waiting for me when we got back...It bites when you run out of underwear and work clothes at the same time...  

Now as I sit and reflect back on the day (while fighting the urge to fall asleep over the keyboard), I have to admit: I feel perfectly content with my life in this moment. It may not be perfect, but it's pretty darn close if you ask me. :-)

No comments: