Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Random Reflections on Days Well-Spent: In Which I Ponder Unseen Nudity and Zombified Food

I would like to start out with a quick apology for my blogging absence these last two days. I would also like to say it was due to some sort of interesting extenuating circumstance, but that wouldn't be true. Sunday was just a mellow day--we went to church, visited family, then came home to relax. (And since Patrick got to the computer first and pretty much stayed there until I went to bed, I don't think I can realistically be blamed for  lacking the motivation to get back out of bed to blog before falling asleep...)

Monday was also mellow. Well, for me...Patrick had to work a long day, but I pretty much just stayed in my pajamas. (And the only reason I was in pajamas is because I wanted the windows open for the great lighting while I worked on a project. Otherwise I would have remained in my "natural state" and thus given my neighbors quite a shock...Also, just to clarify, I am not one of those people who enjoys walking around in the buff for the heck of it; but I have discovered that my previously "comfy" clothes are no longer so comfy with my expanding waistline and have accordingly adapted my habits--namely putting the heat up a few more degrees and keeping a robe handy.) My only exercise for the day consisted of moving from the bed to the couch so I could watch a BBC show while knitting--and then I really only left the couch for food or bathroom breaks during the day.

So...yeah. That was what you missed...

Today was much more eventful. Not only was it my sister's birthday (Again, Happy Birthday, Chrissy!), but my friend Kaylee was up for the day and we got to hang out. (Which was really nice for me, because Patrick had to work another long shift today.) We had originally planned on going to a movie matinee or something, but by the time we actually got up and moving (neither of us are morning people) we would have had to leave right away to make it on time...and I found myself in dire straits laundry-wise. (I would have been without pants...a fairly crucial ensemble piece, I think you'll agree...) So we were delayed for about an hour and a half while we waited for my pants to make it all the way through a laundry cycle...

Due to my wardrobe faux pas, we opted instead to spend the afternoon wandering around some of the fun, artisan-type shops on 25th street before heading down to celebrate Chrissy's birthday. We found a place called "The Queen Bee: Chocolatery, Giftery, Bookery" which had some really cool stuff and lots of vintage type toys and candy. Then Kaylee--being a total sweetheart--treated us to lunch at The Athenian, which is a little hole-in-the-wall restaurant on the same street that serves (you guessed it) Greek food. It was totally yummy. Plus, I got to unravel (Ha! knitting humor...) a little of my inner Yarn Harlot as I continued working on yesterday's project while waiting for our food to arrive. I noticed the waitress giving me a little bit of a "look" when I pulled my knitting out of my bag, but I was in a higher, woollier, plane of existence and decided not to notice.

The fun continued on through the evening as we drove down to Chrissy's to play a few games of Dominion--in which Kaylee thoroughly trounced us (probably because she cheated...I just have to figure out how)-- before heading out to dinner. (I have been so totally spoiled on the food front today...Thank you to all my generous benefactors! I and my unborn child appreciate your largess!)

Dinner was great. We were all packed together in a corner booth at Applebee's and the conversation was as  hilarious as I could ever hope for. I wish I could type it down for you verbatim, but my memory just isn't cooperating tonight and I don't want to run the risk of ruining the highlights by not accurately remembering exactly why they were so funny...One thing I do recall very clearly is that Lila must not have filled up on her mac-n-cheese, because as we were walking out to the car she totally came up behind me and bit me on the butt. No joke, people! I felt her sharp little teeth try to nibble on my hindquarters and was thoroughly disconcerted and bewildered...I mean, sure, we're family and will sometimes tease each other with a pinch on the butt, but I will be the first to admit that the last thought entering my head when looking at some one's rear end is: "I wonder what that tastes like?"

She just giggled and tried to chase me around while making "om nom nom nom" sounds like some sort of deranged Ms. Pac-Man. Chrissy had to hold her back so that I could make an escape with my hands covering my backside. (I felt like a walking pepto commercial...) So, I guess the moral of this story is don't have the mac-n-cheese at Applebee's. Y'know, just in case it's infected with some sort of zombie version of MSG...

Curse the Walking Dead! I never had to worry about undead pasta products before!


No comments: