Sunday, March 3, 2013

I Just Needed a Little Push

Today I would like to send a thank you out to my sister-in-law, Laura for giving me the push I needed to get started on the nursery.

I know I said something about trying to get all my de-cluttering done during the month of February...but that obviously didn't happen. You see, it's very hard for me to get motivated about large projects like that unless I can visualize the end result. And, try as I might, I just couldn't see the nursery coming together. Until yesterday.

I got a message from Laura, asking if we had found a crib yet. We hadn't. We had done some browsing online and in a few stores, but we could never seem to get our financial stars aligned. We either had the time to go get the crib, or we had the money...but never both together. Story of my life. (I'm sure you can all relate.)

Anyway, Laura was kind enough to do some digging on this perpetual Facebook yard sale and found gently used crib with mattress for $50. I was at work, and love Patrick though I do, this is just not his kind of thing...She went the extra mile and contacted the seller and organized everything for us so that we could just go pick it up later that evening. Talk about angels on earth--I'm so grateful to have such sweet family members.

When we got to the seller's apartment, they were very nice and helped us load everything into the back of the car. And as we drove home I realized the time had come. This whole pregnancy thing just got real...I mean, sure I've got all these physical reminders of what's going on; but somehow, knowing that we had a crib to put together made it feel like I was running out of time and that I better get ready to have this kid now.

So today, after church, we unloaded the crib from the car and started to crack down on all the projects we needed to do before we can focus on the nursery.

Patrick rewired our cable so that we could move the computer desk downstairs. I started de-cluttering and deep cleaning the carpets downstairs. (FYI, it's the first time I went down since the flooding incident. I know it's irrational, but I was so scared about finding major water damage when I opened the craft room door, that I convinced myself it was better to just avoid the room all together and hope for the best. Stupid, but true. And, thankfully no--there was no damage of any kind. Whew!) And while he was hauling furniture up and down stairs and  re-setting all the electronic equipment, I also started to clear out the upstairs room to make a place for all the baby's stuff to live until we get the nursery floor plan settled. It doesn't really look like anything has changed at the moment, but believe me, it has! I keep having the lyrics of a Disney song run through my head, and it's turning into my mantra for tackling this project:

Watch the baby tortoise inching up the hill,
It may seem to you he's merely standing still,
Though the steps he takes are infinitely small,
They're a step in the right direction after all!

I did take before pictures, but I refuse to post them until I have the afters as well...I don't want you to see the shameful amount of clutter and random crap strewn all over my house until I have proof that it's all been taken care of. I will do my best to make sure I can post them tomorrow though... Chrissy is coming up to help me haul some stuff around so that Patrick can move the last of the furniture when he gets home from work. It sounds eminently do-able in this moment--fingers crossed that tomorrow's events prove my theory true!