Friday, March 1, 2013

Taking Care of Business

I do apologize for (once more) missing a night of posting. Luckily it was the last day of February, so I still can make the goal to do better in March. What happened was this: I picked up Patrick from work after spending a lovely, comfy afternoon at my sister's. (I was debating about not going because I had to do stuff around the house, and then she pointed out that she now has two sets of washing machines so I could bring laundry...I wasn't about to pass up the chance to get away from my own messes while playing around with her new space-agey equipment. Plus I actually did put a sizeable dent in my laundry pile. Happiness!)

Anyway, usually after his workdays all Patch wants to do when he gets home is vegetate in front of the TV and unwind, but last night he was bitten by some kind of productivity bug and spent most of the evening rearranging our auto insurance to ease some of our financial stress. I just went to read and lie down... Unfortunately, it turns out that the website's server was experiencing a glitch so that instead of purchasing just the one auto policy to bundle with our homeowners insurance--he bought six. The page had become unresponsive so he tried refreshing it...six times. I was woken by a stream of muffled cursing through the bedroom wall and I heard him making a terse phone call. Luckily he was able to get a hold of an insurance representative who put everything on hold until he could call during normal business hours in the morning. I was mainly surprised that I didn't get very stressed out at all by this...I just chuckled and went back to sleep.

Fast forward to today. I was scheduled to work a twelve hour shift while Patch had the day off, so we knew he'd be spending most of his morning on the phone sorting everything out. Which he was able to do--just so you know. However, it was a fairly lengthy process of back and forth phone calls between him, me, the bank, and the insurance agent...And after a busy spurt this morning, I had a lot of time on my hands so I sat down and decided to do all those annoying tasks that I keep putting off: like clearing out my email, updating my information for my student loan financing (I've been getting increasingly acerbic reminders for three months now), making a list of all my user names and passwords for the important sites that I rarely have to use--so I don't have to keep making up new ones, and paying some more bills.

Not the funnest day ever, and not much to show for the hours of work it took me to finish it all; yet, I feel like I've accomplished lots of things today. Which is good, because I'm betting that I'll probably use up the last of my motivation/energy trying to get through the last hours of this shift and I'll go home and crash. (FYI that's why I'm blogging now. I'm trying to avoid this dreaded missing post habit I've developed. Maybe if I try to blog earlier, I won't miss so much...and maybe it'll be more interesting and less of me saying how sleepy I am.)

 

No comments: