Wednesday, March 20, 2013

It's a good thing my head is attached...

Today was super slow for me. I think I did maybe three exams all day long. And--apparently--I had very bad case of "pregnancy brain" this morning, because I forgot some very important parts of my "work survival pack" that usually gets me through days like this one.

For example, I packed my kindle--but left my headphones so I couldn't listen to music or watch a show--I tried reading a book but kept falling asleep at my desk; I took my knitting bag that was packed with yarn--but left my needles at home on my nightstand; I packed some snacks and a water bottle--that I left on the kitchen counter. All in all, without my usual distractions, it was a freakishly long day.

At one point I couldn't fight to keep my eyes open anymore so I went and laid down on the exam table in the x-ray room and took a fifteen minute nap. I set a timer on my phone--just to be on the safe side--but I didn't really need it because I couldn't have lain on that table any longer. I'm having a hard time sleeping on my own nice bed with lots of pillows and blankets; there's no way my lower back would have survived on that cold, hard board.

In the end I just tried to keep myself entertained by surfing the web--which is harder than it sounds when half the sites you'd like to go to are blocked by your office's security system. It's designed to keep you off social media so you can focus on work; which is a great thing--when you actually have work to do--otherwise it's a nightmare.

I finally decided to try to start assembling our baby registry list, but I quickly became overwhelmed by the thought of all the stuff that caring for a newborn entails...I think I need another parent to look over what I have listed so far and help me figure out which parts are actually "essential." In the end I gave up after about a half hour before I sent myself into hysterics with worry.

I think what I'll take away from this experience is the necessity of packing for work the night before I go. Maybe that will prevent me from leaving crucial objects behind....Maybe.

No comments: