Wednesday, March 6, 2013

I'm sensing a pattern...

Today was a long...odd...workday. It's a little known fact that many x-ray techs have "themed" days--days when you see a lot of the same kind of injury or body part--it's strange, but true. I have had days where I've done nothing but knees all day, or chests, or broken toes...but today's theme seemed to be unusually proportioned patients in groups...

I saw three guys in a row who were all over 6' 5". Three. In. A. Row. After the third I poked my head out of the room to see if I was being Punk'd or something, but no hidden camera crew leaped out at me. These gents were followed by three broken clavicles...who were followed by three very large ladies...who were followed by three geriatric patients with acute hearing problems...who were followed by three boys with various snowboarding injuries...and so on.

It was the weirdest thing ever...

The pattern of threes stopped at about 4:30, but the patients kept on coming. My average twelve hour day usually has me doing 10-18 exams spaced randomly throughout the day. Today, I did 32. It was non-stop craziness. At one point I started to (half) joke with the next door lab tech that I might be calling out for help as I went into labor from all the bending and lifting... Luckily everything but my muscles seems okay.

I really hope my shift tomorrow is mellow. It would be nice to relax a little on my birthday. Plus, I need to finish those other presents. Plus, I have the feeling that I'm going to be very sore in the morning. Hmm. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Dinee said...

32? That's insane!