Thursday, March 14, 2013

Something had to be done...

Today I had a day off. I slept in. I watched PBS shows and knitted. It was great. Until about noon when I walked into the bathroom and took a good look at myself in the mirror.

About six months ago I decided to cut my hair short. It was great. I loved it! It was super easy to do in the mornings and I was amazed at my shampoo savings. However, I didn't bargain on how much upkeep it would be in terms of getting it trimmed frequently. I don't remember things like that very well anyway, plus it often feels like I'm being extravagant when I go to a salon to get my hair done. So, since we've been budgeting more carefully, I've usually just had Patrick clean up the back and sides when it starts to get unruly.

And then I got pregnant. And my hair starting to grow much faster. Not even my sweet husband could do much...beyond make me look like some kind of die-hard Beatles fan...So this afternoon as I stood and stared at my pseudo-bowl cut/ imminent mullet I decided that something had to be done. I just couldn't take the shagginess anymore!

Accordingly, I got dressed and took myself down to the salon in the mall hoping to find the woman who originally gave me the pixie cut. No such luck, but an equally talented co-worker of hers took me in hand and I'm very happy with the results. (I also felt so grown up as I explained what I wanted to the stylist. Usually I just give them a general idea on length and let them have at it; but I decided to put on my big-girl panties this time and get really specific on what I did and didn't like about the cut as it was. I can't believe it took me so long--I like the new, more assertive me--plus I definitely got what I asked for.)

So....what do you think? (I was unable to convince Patrick that taking pictures of my hair was more meritorious than relaxing on the couch. Please pardon my somewhat vacant expressions--I was concentrating really hard on not covering my face with the phone--without actually looking at said phone. It's harder than it seems.)


Hopefully, the shaping she did will allow my hair to grow more gracefully into a bob-style cut. Both my pocketbook and hormones demanded something that requires slightly fewer haircuts and I think this will do the trick...

(P.S. I have a random question: Does it look like my hair has been dyed? I've had several people at work ask me if I've colored my hair in the last few days, and even Patrick recently mentioned that it seemed darker...Now, I know I haven't dyed my hair--because every time I think about it I remember that "root touch up" scene from Baby Mama--but is it normal for your hair color to change during pregnancy??) 

5 comments:

Chrissy said...

Super cute! I think the color change is not that uncommon in pregnancy. Mine actually went curly with Lila! Too bad it didn't stay...

Sarah said...

I like when people post pictures :) It is super cute and I do think it looks darker. Very likely a pregnancy thing. Mine went curly too, but only from the crown of my head down. the top is still stick straight and it has stayed that way. Pregnancy does crazy things to a body.

Tiffany said...

My hair went lighter with Kaia, darker with Morgan...

I love the cut! It suits you so well! I might have to take myself in for a haircut tomorrow...I think I need a fresh canvas. :)

cari said...

My hair went lighter when I was preggy. It was only after I had all my kids it went weird. Now I have a weird wave. I found out I can't have short hair.

KishellFamily said...

I Love it!!!