Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Knitting in Public

Tonight after work I walked next door to a local grocery store to wait for Patrick to come get me. (We are only able to use one car at the moment and it has caused us to get creative in managing our work schedules.)

I was off at 8 pm and Patrick wouldn't be there until about 9:30 pm. So I found an unoccupied bench near the pharmacy window and pulled out my knitting to while away the time. I was back to working on my fluff puffs today, so I was able to make about three of them while I was waiting. Several small kids walking by with their parents would marvel at my little collection of knitted puffs and ask me what they were for. 

One particularly adorable little girl who was toting around a Barbie doll fell in love with a puff made of soft, speckled purple yarn. She must have been around three or four and she reminded me so much of my own nieces as she exclaimed over "my cute little dolly pillows" and asked if she could touch it. Her mom just smiled at our little interaction up until her daughter asked me if she could keep it--then she got this strained sort of look on her face and began to explain how that wasn't a polite request to make of a stranger. 

I felt for this woman, but something in me melted as I watched this little girl rub the puff along her own cheek and then her doll's, and I told her she could have it--as long as it was okay with her mommy. Her mom looked at me with surprise and I just said, "It feels nice when people appreciate the things I make. And I think it would make an excellent doll pillow."

They both thanked me and continued on with their shopping trip and I went back to my puffs. 

And maybe it sounds odd, but I feel good about myself knowing that a much loved doll will sleep on a handmade pillow tonight because of me.  

1 comment:

Chrissy said...

Aw, this is a sweet knitting story. What a fun experience. :)