Wednesday, January 23, 2013

A Random Conversation

Me: (Loud cough in the middle of Face Off--one of our favorite TV shows)
Patrick: Did you take your medicine tonight?
Me: Not yet. I will after the show.
(Time passes. I continue to cough loudly. The show ends and I get up to walk into the bedroom.)
Patrick: You need to take your medicine.
Me: I will, but do I have to do it right now? It tastes nasty. I'll take it before I go to sleep...like last night...
Patrick: You need to take your medicine now, Caite. It's like WWII.
Me: (pause) Did you say WWII?
Patrick: Yeah.
Me: (longer pause) I don't think the two are related.
Patrick: Yes they are. Your body is fighting a war and you need to use the resources at hand to win.
Me: Are you saying I need to drop an A-bomb on my immune system?
Patrick: (rolling his eyes) I'm saying you need to take your medicine as the label directs, every six to eight hours, and not just at bed or before going to work.
Me: You know, equating that nasty cold syrup with nuclear holocaust does not really increase my desire to take it.
Patrick: Just take the stupid medicine, Caite! It might shorten your war by another five weeks!
Me: Fine.... But just so you know, I still think that's a really weird choice of metaphor...




2 comments:

Tiffany said...

I am totally on Patrick's side.

Sorry, Cate. He's right. Carry on, warrior. And take your meds at the same time. Love you.

cari said...

I agree on that it was a strange metaphor. Although I did hear Aaron compare lasagna to a well built woman. Strange men we have.