Thursday, January 10, 2013

Baby, It's Cold Outside!

Today was a good one.

We had an awesome morning that started with an early visit to my work for my 20 week ultrasound. It's fun to see your little munchkin growing no matter who you are...but it's also nice when you work with the techs and you get some extra pictures as a work perk. :) Everything looks great, is developing properly, and it's so exciting to be able to see facial features more clearly and stuff! Plus, we also had it confirmed that it's definitely: A GIRL! (For the record, I would have been excited no matter what. But, I also admit that girly things are more in my wheelhouse...so I look forward to that side of things.) 

I did get a lot of pictures, but I tried to whittle it down to my four favorites to show off. :D

Notice the writing in the bottom left corner? That's right, folks...my girl's not shy. :)

Look at that adorable profile! I particularly like the hand above the head in the dramatic fainting pose...

She did have her feet lined up perfectly right next to each other before this picture was captured. But she was too busy wiggling to hold the pose. 

I love that she's been caught sucking her thumb already! Made me think of my mom...sucking her thumb while reading in bed...Plus, look at those cheeks! They're starting to fill out a bit. :)

So, not only did Patrick and I enjoy an awesome morning, but I got to bum a ride down to Centerville with him to hang out with Chrissy today. We chatted, and watched a funny show called Pitch Perfect, and snacked on "questing" food. (Cold roast chicken, bread and cheese, and apples...c'mon, tell me that doesn't sound like something you eat while on a Middle Earth road trip...) It was a lovely mellow kind of day.

And then the snow came. 

Don't get me wrong. I love snow. I love getting snuggled up under a blanket with a mug of hot chocolate and just watching the flakes float down. But I hate driving in the snow. If this were a "more congenial spot" like Camelot, it would only snow once I was safely ensconced wherever I needed to be that day. But sadly, this is reality. And in reality, snow follows Murphy's Law; so of course it was worst during the evening commute when we would normally be making our merry way home. Yeah...our way wasn't merry today. We ended up not being able to stop by his parents to show off our ultrasound pictures because the roads were so crazy. (Sorry again, Rich and Lisa! And sorry that you've had trouble getting hold of us. We've been having lots of phone issues lately...but that's a whole different post.) So we waited for traffic to mellow. And while we waited, Patrick got an idea.
Mount Patrick. (Formerly Telford Peaks) Measuring approx. 3' 6" by the midpoint of the shoveling process.

Knowing how difficult it would be for Brian to manage the driveway and ramp with three inches of snow, Patrick decided to shovel the way for him. And, because he is a child at heart (and I love it!), he decided to put that snow to good use. A.K.A. a snow fort. We'll be back on Saturday to document the making of an epic fort with Jake, Evie, and Lila! 

After a short rest, some yummy homemade lasagna, and some bedtime hugs and kisses we finally made our way safely (and slowly) home. Although we did pass at least four accidents and almost witnessed two others...I reiterate, driving in snow sucks

Plus, I had a slight panic attack when we pulled onto our street to see a fire truck and two cop cars parked in front of our house. But as far I as could tell, no one had been hurt, or anything damaged...our best guess is that one of the houses across the way had a family/marital dispute of some kind...I didn't really feel like walking over to the officers huddled around the backseat of one of the cars to find out the details of the situation. 

Point being: me and mine were safe. (And since I was wearing backless shoes walking up a slushy, un-shoveled, inclined driveway in the dark, wearing only a thin sweater; my curiosity was extremely short-lived. I am so ready for that blanket and hot chocolate! Brrr! ) 

1 comment:

Elena Loo said...

Oh those ultra sounds pics are so great!! She looks cute already! I love the poses.
Fun times! Be safe!