Friday, January 18, 2013

I have hit critical mass

It has been a long work day, for the both of us. Twelve hours shifts a piece. I can't vouch for what Patrick's day was like, but mine felt like it was never going to end.

I have been fighting a cold for almost three weeks now; and today I was sure my nose was going to implode or something. I have gone through two and half boxes of tissues in just over 24 hours. Not to be graphic, but that's a lot of mucus people! And I'm worried that people who don't know me might think I have a drinking problem because my nose is so red and swollen... Having never been pregnant and sick at the same time before, I don't think I ever fully appreciated how awesome decongestants are. I miss them...a lot...a whole lot.

I spent at least half of my down time at work researching homeopathic ways to treat my much abused sinuses...so far I think steaming up the bathroom and taking a long soak has my vote. Patrick even got me some special mentholated bath salts to help things along. (He takes good care of me.)

Not much happened to me today. Unless you count the patient who came in reeking of alcohol (according to others in the office--I can't smell a thing) and proceeded to strip down in the middle of the halway before they could assign him a room. Luckily the nurse got him into one before he got down to his boxers...that would have been embarrassing for us all! He was definitely one of the more...interesting...individuals I've ever had to work with. I'm still not sure exactly how he injured himself...he kept changing his mind in the middle of his story. Hilarious--but not very helpful!

And the After Hours shift was pure torture! I didn't do a single exam, but we had 28 people check in. (The average is somewhere around 10, give or take a few. This is almost as many as doctor can see during regular business hours. ) I was stuck there--twiddling my thumbs--for a really long time. As time wore on, and on, and on...my emotions became increasingly frazzled. I came home to Patrick and promptly collapsed into his arms while he tried to soothe my toddler-like hysteria. Not a pretty picture.

I'm going to crawl into my bed and not come out again for a while. G'night.




 

2 comments:

Caitlin said...

P.S. Just in case you're wondering: say NO to the mentholated bath salts. Awesome idea in theory, but it totally ruins the purpose of taking a hot bath if you feel like your skin is icy cold from the menthol the whole time...

Elena Loo said...

You need to get some peppermint, lemon, and 'on guard' essential oils. It's the oil way I survived my 5 month cold while pregnant. Saline spray helps a little, and you can take robitsossin (?). Sorry you aren't feeling well. That's no fun!! I have a 12 hour day ahead of me tomorrow and I am not excited. Anyway, feel better!