Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Now comes the hard part...


So, here’s the real challenge of blogging every day for me: Finding something to blog about. I don’t have cute kids that provide an endless supply of material (yet), or a particularly fascinating job/social life. In fact, I don’t have much of a social life at all except for the rare occasion when I and a friend both have work off at the same time.

I found myself on the drive to work racking my brains trying to think of what to do. (Also, I found I was secretly hoping that someone would come in with a particularly good injury …preferably one with a funny story to go along with it. But then I realized that my wishing harm on another just so my day would be more interesting was probably not the right kind of karma I should be sending out into the world at the beginning of a workday. Although, really, when you work in health care you sometimes can’t help that sort of thing…after all, if no one ever got sick or hurt, we would get sooo bored.)

Apparently, either my commute isn’t long enough to allow good ideas to percolate; or it was just too early for my brain to really think. Both are equally possible.

But turns out that today’s lesson is “be careful what you wish for.” Because, wouldn’t you know it, someone did come in with an injury—right before I was supposed to go on lunch break.

 Now this poor lady slipped and fell on some ice about a week ago and went to the ER. But I guess she wasn’t satisfied with that, because today I ended up having to perform sixteen pictures on just her arm. (For those of you who don’t know, the average x-ray exam only consists of two to three pictures.) Seriously?! And I had to get the doctor to draw the line there because she was basically asking me to examine her entire body…that’s an insane amount of pictures people. Not to mention it would probably cause sterility to get that much radiation in one sitting, to say nothing of its carcinogenic effects…. 

Anyway, we were able to get her agree to just the sixteen x-rays today, and the possibility of another CT scan (she had one a week ago) if her symptoms persisted after trying some physical therapy. (And just FYI, there was absolutely nothing wrong with her as far as the x-rays showed. I found out later on that she was trying to get proof of injury so she could sue whoever owned the parking lot she fell in. Wow.)

Anyway, by the time I was finally finished with this one patient I had a line of four other people. So…yeah…I didn’t really get lunch. Not my best afternoon. I had to work so hard to keep the crazy in! Those people had no idea how close they were to witnessing a spectacular pregnancy tantrum. (Picture me lying on my back in the middle of the hall, kicking and screaming that I just wanted to eat my stupid sandwich before I was driven to murder one of them. That kind of crazy.)


But now I'm snug at home. I'm going to de-stress by watching mediocre television and eating fish sticks and ice cream. (Not at the same time...just clarifying. Even my cravings aren't that weird.) 

And would you look at that: I found something to write about!

2 comments:

Chrissy said...

If you do ever throw a spectacular pregnancy tantrum will you please make sure that one of your co-workers has a head's up and can film it for us, please?

Megs said...

Hooray! I'm so excited to have another blog to read as part of my nightly ritual!

Oh, and I'm sure you and I could swap stories about crazy patients. As entertaining as they are, I'm baffled and amazed at the stupidity of people. :)