Saturday, January 12, 2013

Do you have a flag?

So today we went to Chrissy's to help build a fort, as promised. (I had planned to take more videos and pictures than we did, but small hands don't make the best shovels. So I ended up helping to build more than document.)

We didn't arrive until close to lunch time, so the kids were SUPER excited to finally get started. It was a bit of a circus trying to make sure everyone ate and went potty before getting bundled up in their snow gear. But, eventually everyone was ready to go...and go, they did!I think the girls just ran around for about 20 minutes in sheer excitement before they started trying to help build up the walls of the fort.

Jake and Patrick's plans were fairly elaborate--calling for a single tunnel (because it's easily defensible), and a few windows (because it made it feel almost like a hobbit hole that way). Chrissy has most of the pictures of the wall building process on her blog--A.K.A. Aunt Caite throwing snow on the pile so the kids could fall on it to pack it down. But I was able to capture the completion of the tunnel on video.


And here's is the first successful use of said tunnel...

Needless to say, everyone was exhausted by the end of the day. I know I called it quits shortly after the tunnel was made. I sat down after removing my wet things and the next thing I knew, Patrick was shaking my shoulder and saying that it was time to go. I made my way groggily to the car and we stopped by his parents for a quick visit before heading home. (Thank you again for the yummy cookies, Lisa! It was the perfect way to end such a busy, playful day!)

I am so glad we were able to play around with those cute kids today. Made me so excited for the memories we'll build with our own children. I look forward to seeing all the fancy additions Jake has planned for the fort...but I think I might sit out and just watch any snowball fights. :) If there was one lesson I learned today, it's that this baby of mine saps my physical energy more than I anticipated! 

No comments: